educate and enliven all five senses
PLEIN AIR IN THE VAL D'ORCIA
Trip Status: OPEN
September 4-14, 2016
Tour Cost: $3200
Join Susan Hope Fogel, an award winning painter, as she leads an inspiring, intensive, landscape painting workshop in Italy's Val d'Orcia. Seven of our nine days in Italy will be devoted to painting instruction by Susan, with at least one full day of relaxation, and excursions to Florence and Siena as well!
- The crete senesi and its crazy roads!
- Paint the vistas of the Val d’Orcia
- Hill towns of Radicofani and Montechiello
- Florence for a day—perhaps the Uffizzi or the Accademia
- Montepulciano and Pienza
- 7 intense days of painting instruction by Susan Hope Fogel
La Selvella, Radicofani, Tuscany, Italy
Radicofani is probably the epicenter of the Val d’Orcia in southern Tuscany. This valley is not famous for its ever dry riverbed, the Orcia, but for its strange chalky white dunes of the crete senesi. These crete pervade the seemingly unproductive land, but make an incredibly beautiful landscape.
We will stay at La Selvella, a B&B smack in the midst of these dunes. La Selvella is known not only for its delicious food and comfortable rooms, but also for its hospitality to painters.
Media: Oil Paint, water soluble oils, and pastels
Level: Painters with some experience
Goal of Instructor: To further develop painters’ landscape painting skills
- Welcome reception and informational gathering followed by dinner on first day.
- 9 full days in Italy.
- 7 days of instruction.
- At least one day will be a free day for relaxation.
- Excursions will take us to Florence and Siena.
- Painting will take place not only at La Selvella, but also in nearby hilltop towns which offer amazing views and variety of architecture and people.
Sample daily painting schedule is as follows:
- 7:00-9:00am Painting on premises
- 9:00-10:00am Breakfast
- 10:30am-1:00pm Travel and painting in new location
- 1:00-3:00pm Lunch, Shopping, Touring
- 3:00-5:30pm Painting
- 5:30-7:30pm Free Time
- 7:30-11:00pm Critiques and Dinner
“Over a year ago I read in the Orange County Arts Councils newsletter that Susan taught plein air painting so I contacted her. Meeting her and seeing her work, I knew I had to study with her. Values are so important and believe me Susan is a stickler about the right value. The quality of my work has improved this year and I thank her for this. See you in Tuscany.” —Ellen Joyce Trayer
"Susan is an amazing artist and terrific teacher. She welcomes students with all levels of experience and ability, giving each generous individual instructional time and endless encouragement". —JS
"Susan is one of those rare teachers who is able to work with students at any level to bring out their hidden talent." —SH
"Susan's sensitive guidance leads you gradually to do your best work. She's a compendium of technique; she's done it all...well." —CL
"You have certainly unlocked my rusty treasure box and allowed me to rediscover my love for painting and study of color and art in general." —M
JOURNEY COST: $3200
- Includes B&B accommodations at La Selvella for 10 nights, most meals, airport transfers from/to Rome to Radicofani, ground transportation in Italy, almost daily instructional sessions, excursions and entrance fees, and teacher and administrative fees.
- NOTE: A deposit of $500 is required upon registration to secure a place on this journey.
- Airfare is not included to enable travelers to use their “travel points,” upgrade flight arrangements, or to extend their trip.
- Travel insurance is strongly encouraged.
PAINTING SUPPLIES | TRAVEL TIPS
Paintings by Susan Hope Fogel.
La Selvella's pool and view of crete dunes.
Approach to Pienza.
Artist in field.
View of the crete senesi and goats in the Val d'Orcia.
To register for this Journey, please click below.
*A detailed itinerary and policy page will be provided upon registration.